Loutra



“ Where Ursulines lived “

Secrets

  • Loutra(=baths) that were in the area, gave their name to the village.
  • The village was an important religious and cultural center of the island.
  • Loutra was a small town, with over 500 residents.
  • In the 19th century, the monastery of Jesuit monks was built here with its temple dedicated
    to the founder of the Order St. Ignatius Loyola.
  • In the Monastery of Jesuits there is a folklore museum.
  • Loutra is well known for the Convent of the Ursulines founded in 1862. The imposing building
    housed a school for girls and later, the primary school of the village and also, a school of
    carpet making. It is open to visitors and has a small museum with objects that have survived
    from the period of its operation as a school.
  • In summer, the courtyard of the Monastery of Ursulines welcomes cultural events.
  • The Church of St. Joseph dates back to the mid of the 19th century. It surrendered to the
    ravages of time, but retained the charm of neoclassic Baroque.

Access

  • Situated 8 km off Chora (Tinos). 
  • Follow the new road network (starting from Τripotamou Av), turn left at the first junction
    and right at the second (after Xinara).
  • Map