Xinara



“ At the Bishop's Palace “

Secrets

  • Xinara is built at the foot of Xombourgo and dates back to the 19th century.
  • In medieval times, it was a cultural and commercial center of the island. Most handicrafts of
    the island were represented here.
  • From the Byzantine period until today, it is the seat of the Catholic Diocese of Tinos.
  • The impressive building, which you meet at the entrance of the village and is known as the
    "Bishop's Palace", housed the Catholic Diocese of Tinos Archive and Museum relics.
  • Old Bishop's Palace housed a seminary.
  • Particularly noteworthy are the two architectural Catholic churches: Our Lady of the
    Rosary (1860-1870) is the cathedral of the Catholic Archdiocese and the Church of the
    Apostles Peter and Paul (1836).
  • In the theater of Xinara cultural events take place in summer.

Access

  • Situated 7 km off Chora (Tinos).
  • Follow the new road network (starting from Tripotamou Av.) and turn left at the first junction
    and right at the second one heading for Xinara.
  • Map