- Karya is one of the oldest villages of the island. In a ravine south of the village, an
archaeological discovery was found (section of a grave column, dating back to the 5th BC
century), which is an indication for the existence of life in the region since then.
- The origin of the name is unknown. It is thought to originate from Karya (= walnuts) that were
- Two cathedrals of Karya are of particular interest:Ag Elephtherios(17th cent) and Agios
Dimitrios (18th cent.), and also the churches of the Assumption (Leventados Cathedral) and
St. Lucia in Philipados.
- A girls' school was founded in Karya in 1863 which was maintained until 1887.
- Visit the village's Historical and Folklore Museum at the site of the old school.
- Enjoy a walk in the grove of the village, the largest on the island, with the Church of the
Assumption dominating in the middle.
- Located 8 km away from Chora (Tinos).
- Follow the old road network and at the first junction turn left towards Mountados and Karya.
Alternatively, following Tripotamou Av., turn right at the junction after Tripotamos.